Marybank-1.JPG Marybank-2.JPG Marybank-3.JPG Marybank-4.JPG Marybank-5.JPG

 

BY THE REVEREND MR JOHN ROSS

 

The Parish of Loggie Easter is so called, because there was another of the same name some time ago in the Western division of Ross.  The name “Loggie” (in the Gaelic Logie) signifies ‘a hollow.’  The church formerly stood in a beautiful hollow, surrounded by braes or hillocks.  It is nearly 7 miles in length, and in some places more than 2 in breadth; bounded on the S. by the parish of Kilmuire; on the E. by Nigg; on the N. E. by Fearn; on the N. by Tain; and on the W. by Eddertown and Kilmuire.  This parish lies partly in the county of Ross, and partly in the county of Cromarty, within 4 miles of the town of Tain, which is the presbytery-seat, and sometimes the seat of the Synod of Ross.  GO TO PAGE

 

About 24 years ago, the present neat little church was built on an eminence, at some distance from the hollow where it formerly stood. Twelve years ago, during the vacancy Sir John Ross of Balnagown, with consent and approbation of the heritors and presbytery, took the manse and glebe to himself, and built a neat manse for the present incumbent. 

GO TO PAGE

Transcribed from the STATISTICAL ACCOUNTS of SCOTLAND ONLINE with the kind permission of © EDINA

1581

Mr John Ross, translated from Tain, 1581; translated to Kilmuir-Easter prior to 1585; returned about 1589; died 22nd Oct., 1616.

 

 

1630 A. Dundas, admitted 16__ ; continued 28th August, 1655.
   
1655 Kenneth MacKenzie, admitted 19th February, 1665. (See next entry).
   

1690

Mr Kenneth MacKenzie, Incumbent of Logie-Easter, was admitted prior to 25th April, 1690. He sought admission into the Presbyterian Communion in 1708, but the Committee found him unqualified.  He was, however, allowed to remain incumbent of the parish till his death in 1715.  With Mr Kenneth MacKenzie’s death, Which took place at Logie-Easter on the 20th March, 1715, the last Episcopalian incumbent of the Presbytery passed away.  Mr MacKenzie was succeeded by

 

 

1716

Mr John Balfour, Preacher of the Gospel, who was ordained and admitted Minister of Logie-Easter on 27th November, 1716.

 

 

1729

Mr Balfour was translated to Nigg on the 26th  March, 1729, and was succeeded by

 

 

1730

Mr John MacArthur, Minister of Killearnan, who was admitted Minister of Logie-Easter on the 25th March, 1730.  Mr MacArthur died at Logie-Easter on the 23rd March, 1744, and was succeeded by

 

 

1744

Mr Patrick Grant, itinerant Minister in the bounds of the Presbytery of Abertarff, who was admitted Minister of Logie-Easter on the 28th September, 1744.  Mr Grant died at Logie-Easter on the 19th July, 1778, and was succeeded by

 

 

1779

Mr John Ross, Missionary Minister on Heights of the Parishes of Kincardine and Creich, who was admitted Minister of Logie-Easter on the 22nd September, 1779.  Mr Ross was translated to Rosskeen on the 16th June, 1813, and was succeeded by

 

 

1813

Mr Neil Kennedy, Minister of the gospel, Loggieside, who was admitted Minister who was admitted Minister of Logie-Easter on the 19th August, 1813.  Mr Kennedy died at Logie Easter on the 29th April, 1836, and was succeeded by his son,

 

 

1836

Mr Donald Kennedy, Minister of Helmsdale,  who was admitted Minister of Logie-Easter on the 22nd September, 1836.  Mr Kennedy was deposed on the 30th November of the same year and was succeeded by

 

 

1839

Mr Hugh MacLeod, M.A., Minister of the Gaelic Church, Edinburgh, who was admitted Minister of Logie-Easter on the 19th September, 1839.  Mr MacLeod seceded on the 1st  August, 1843, and was succeeded by

 

 

1843

Mr Alexander MacKenzie, Preacher of the Gospel, who was ordained and admitted Minister of Logie-Easter at Dingwall on the 21st September, 1843.  Mr MacKenzie died at Edinburgh on the 7th June, 1880, and was succeeded by

   

1851

Mr Archibald Macdonald, Minister of Stornoway, who was admitted minister of Logie-Easter on the 4th March, 1881.  Mr Macdonald was translated to the Gaelic Church, Greenock, on the 3rd November, 1885 and was succeeded by

   
1886 Mr James Munro, M.A., Minister of the Mission Church, Invermoriston, Inverness, who was admitted Minister of Logie-Easter on the 19th April, 1886.
   

The name of this parish means a 'low place,' or hollow.

(Extract from 'Religious Life in Ross' - Noble 1909.)

 

The earliest notice of Logie seems to be it's entry in Bisset's copy of Baiamund's Roll.  King James IV presented Sir Donald Morison to the vicarage of Logie (supposed to be Logie Easter), in the diocese of Ross.  It would seem that his predecessor was Sir John Rathie.  The name of the parish occurs in the records of the 16th century, and about the Reformation the rector appears to have been Thomas Hay, and the vicar Sir Donald Reid.  In 1587 King James VI presented Mr John Ross to the parsonage and vicarage.

(Extract from 'Religious Life in Ross' - Noble 1909.)

 

1763. -  Mr Patrick Grant, minister of  Logie-Easter, stated ‘that the Church of Logie-Easter has for many years been in a most ruinous condition; that the timber of the roof was rotten, and the heather thatch did not hold out a drop of rain; the walls were out of plumb, and there was not a pane of glass in any of the windows’.  ‘The Presbytery sympathized with Mr Grant and people in their misfortunes, regretted the deplorable condition of the Logie-Easter church, and appointed a committee to assist Mr Grant in taking immediate to have the Logie-Easter church restored.

(Extract from 'Church Life in Ross and Sutherland 1688-1914' - MacNaughton 1915.)

 

1767. - Early in 1767, Captain Ross of Calrossie and Mr Patrick at Logie, undertakers, nominated for repairing or rebuilding the Church of Logie, represented to the Presbytery that it is the inclination of the heritors of that parish to have the Church built on the eminence to the east of the Manse, as the most convenient place for the parish.  The Presbytery approved of the site for the new Church of Logie-Easter.

(Extract from 'Church Life in Ross and Sutherland 1688-1914' - MacNaughton 1915.)

 

1715 – Under date 29th March it is stated that the Parish of Logie-Easter became vacant by the death of Mr Kenneth Mackenzie, late incumbent there, who died on the 20th day of March.  Mr Kenneth Mackenzie was the last of the incumbents within the Presbytery of Tain.  With his death the last representative of Prelacy in Easter Ross disappeared; but Episcopacy did not yield without a struggle.  When the first Lord’s day of April dawned, Mr Walter Ross, probationer, presented himself at Logie-Easter in order to supply the vacancy, but, to his astonishment, he found that the Countess of Cromartie had run off with the keys of the church, so that he was denied access.  When, however, the Earl, who had been toEdinburgh, returned, the keys were delivered up to the Presbytery.

(Extract from 'Church Life in Ross and Sutherland 1688-1914' - MacNaughton 1915.)